Memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows
On September 15 and throughout the following week, pray the Seven Sorrows (Dolors) of Our Blessed Mother
(Each Sorrow is meditated upon while praying 1 Our Father and 7 Hail Mary's):
- The First Sorrow of Mary: The Prophecy of Simeon at the Presentation in the Temple (Lk 2:22-35)
- The Second Sorrow of Mary: The Flight into Egypt (Mt 2:13-21)
- The Third Sorrow of Mary: The Loss of Jesus in the Temple (Lk 2:41-50)
- The Fourth Sorrow of Mary: Mary Encounters Jesus on the Way of the Cross (John 19:1; Luke 23:26-32)
- The Fifth Sorrow of Mary: Jesus Dies on the Cross (Mark 15:22; John 19:18, 25-27; Mark 15:34; Luke 23:46)
- The Sixth Sorrow of Mary: Jesus Is Taken Down From the Cross (John 19:31-34, 38; Lam 1:12)
- The Seventh Sorrow of Mary: Jesus is Laid in the Tomb (Matthew 27:59; John 19:38-42; Mark 15:46; Luke 27:55-56)
According to the visions of St. Bridget of Sweden (1303-1373), our Blessed Mother promises graces to those who honor her and draw near to her and her Son by meditating on her sorrows and entering into her grief:
- "I will grant peace to their families."
- "They will be enlightened about the divine Mysteries."
- "I will console them in their pains and will accompany them in their work."
- "I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my divine Son or the sanctification of their souls."
- "I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives."
- "I will visibly help them at the moment of their death-- they will see the face of their mother."
- "I have obtained this grace from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son will be their eternal consolation and joy."
My name is Brother Dan Korn, and I am a Redemptorist. We are the priests and brothers who carry the Gospel to the poorest and most abandoned across the globe. We are connecting people to Jesus through Mary.
May Our Mother of Perpetual Help watch over you and protect you.
In Jesus and Mary,
Brother Daniel Korn, C.Ss.R.