This year marks the 100th Anniversary of the miraculous appearance of Mary to three children in Fatima, Portugal. Pope Francis marks this celebration with you today by his pilgrimage to Fatima’s shrine and canonization of two Jacinta and Francisco Marto, children visionaries.
Prayer and Penance, she announced, are the only and safest way to an abiding Peace. A new light of hope evolved from the skies of Fatima. Drawn from ‘The Great War’ – World War I – her message of reconciliation still pulls on our hearts today. Our Heavenly Mother seeks to lead us back to an era of peace.
The world of that time certainly resembles the world we live in today with much war and violence happening every day. The message of Our Lady of Fatima is very relevant today. She asked for the daily prayers and the recitation of the rosary for peace.
My fellow Redemptorists and I join Mary in a search for peace. We venerate her love and revelation to us through the Icon of Our Mother of Perpetual Help. Join me on this feast of Mary by asking her intercession for peace and protection.
In Jesus, through Mary,
Brother Daniel Korn, C.Ss.R.
Redemptorist Missionary of the Denver Province
P.S. Submit your own prayer for peace. All petitions will be forwarded to Rome.
- View pictures, videos and more from the Shrine of Fatima
- Latest News from Pope Francis’s visit to Fatima
- Did You Know?
- Mary appeared in 1917 to 3 shepherd children
- She asked them to pray the Rosary for peace
- More than 4 Million pilgrims visit the shrine and basilica each year
- Pope Francis celebrates this 100th Anniversary with a pilgrimage to Fatima, Portugal
- Jacinta and Francisco Marto will be canonized this year